Saturday, December 11, 2010

Just a Quickie

While I stress the importance of writing every day to my children, I sometimes forget to follow my own advice.  So here's a quickie before I head off to bed.

I took an entire day to myself today to go Christmas shopping.  My feet hurt.  I accomplished most goals and came to an understanding.  I understand that I will never go to Twelve Oaks Mall again.  I sucked it up and went because I had a mission or two.  I got lost three times, walked about twenty-seven miles, skipped lunch for lack of good choices, got followed in the parking lot by parking-space-lurkers, and still had to go to other stores because I couldn't get EVERYTHING I needed at the mall.  Ugh.

But I enjoyed the time completely to myself to do as I pleased.  I made it home while my family was away, wrapped gifts, cleaned up the kitchen and had a delicious Asian dinner set out on the table when they arrived.  That was actually my favorite part of the day.

I'm most excited because I bought felt so my daughter and I can make a holiday pocket calendar (like an Advent Calendar) specifically tailored to our family!  Thirty pockets will help us count down first to the Solstice, then to Christmas, and finally to New Year's Eve (my absolutely favorite holiday)!

Why is New Year's Eve my favorite, you might ask?  It's a time to reflect on the past, to look in to the future and all the possibilities it brings, to gather with friends over food and drink.  It spans all religions, all generations... and it doesn't come with an overtone of gifts and consumerism.  We gather with friends to break bread, to enjoy a glass of wine, to laugh and talk around the table or the fire.  The kids play with one another, old friends and sometimes new.  This year we plan to release paper lanterns with blessings and wishes for the future. 

If I could pick one of my favorite gods, it would be Janus... a representation of the dichotomy of life.  I'm looking forward to counting down the days until the new year... and perhaps I'll sew an image of Janus on the last pocket of our felt calendar!

No comments:

Post a Comment