Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cracks

Add caption
My daily revelation:  It is not my job to fix my kids.  It is not my job to fix my husband.  It is not my job to fix the system.... wait, no, maybe that is my job.  Anyway, my point is not about becoming a poster child for social action or government reform, so we'll just forget about that last line for now.

I've said this before, but today as I spoke with a friend while driving home from a Religious Education Committee retreat, it really and truly hit me.  Hard.  Like a canoe paddle to the forehead when you're just out on the calm lake lookin' at the ducks.

My son has his issues.  For years we have been trying to fix his cracks.  Why?  So that he could fit into the round hole?  Or should I say, the blue plastic desk chair, the future suit and tie?

Maybe he likes to stand at the counter and maybe ties choke him.  Maybe he's not cracked.  Could it be that those "imperfections" in our children are what make them human?  What make them miraculous works of art?

Some children are perfectly happy sitting in that chair, and some adults are happy in that suit and tie.  They are lucky, because they fit the mold that society has established for us.  Or at least they're capable of working with what they've got.  I've recently had some pushback from a family member about our choice to home school.  They're argument?  "Everybody goes to school!"

My retort?  "If everybody jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge..."

Anyway, after home educating my children for over a month now, I realize that a lot of the stress in my life was caused by me not only trying to fix the cracks in my children... but also feeling somehow guilty that they were cracked at all, and that other people had to be around cracked children. I hated that feeling.  I hated myself for feeling it.

My dad had a saying when I was a kid.  "I love you so much that I want other people to like you."  Sounds simple enough.  But at what expense?  And how does one go about shaping a human being so that other people like them?  And what people?

My son has some incredible qualities.  He is immediately accepting of anyone, regardless of age, physical ability, religion, et cetera.  He is tender hearted and funny.  He is smart and outgoing.  I feel like those qualities were not given the right space to shine at school.  They were hidden behind his colon disorder (crack), his ADhD (crack), his sensetivity (crack), is social "youngness" (crack).  He spent his entire third grade year sitting alone in the cafeteria at lunch.  It hurt me so much inside. I wanted him to fit in so badly.

Now that he is home, the space is right for him to be simply who he is.  He can be socially young, playing make-believe with his sister and cuddling with his dog or his mom.  He can be sensetive and cry.  He doesn't have to sit down to do his math, or try to sit quietly while the other children finish a worksheet that it took him minutes to complete.  But the most incredible difference, the one that has relieved so much of his stress and mine, is that his colon disorder is starting to heal.

He hasn't had a soiling accident in well over ten days.  I remember spending that last half hour in the morning before the bus picked up the kids in absolute panick if he wasn't able to have a bowel movement before school.  He was stressed and anxious because he knew I was stressed and anxious.  I knew the chances of him having an accident at school were greater if he wasn't able to go in the morning.  I think he did, too.  But it was an incredible struggle each and every day.

I would spend every school day with my cell phone by my side, just hoping and praying that it wouldn't ring.  That I wouldn't have to go bring him extra clothing.  Because I knew every time he had a soiling accident he alienated himself from his peers.  He became a target for their sneers and teasing.  The guidance counsellor desperately tried to help, but there's no stopping the social circus once it pulls into town.

Isn't he handsome?
Now.... Ahhhh.... We have quiet mornings together.  By early afternoon, if he hasn't had a bowel movement, I gently remind him that he might want to try.  But I haven't had to do that lately.  He's actually been noticing his body's workings (his colon's nervous system is restoring itself).  I think getting rid of screens (tv, video games, etc), and taking away all of that stress that he was experiencing, have together been a healing force for him physically and emotionally. 

It seems like the more we tried to "fix" him, (with therapy and neurofeedback and food eliminationa and medication and chiropractic) the more he started thinking he was someone who needed to be fixed.


Now, I look at my son and see this colorful peice of artwork.  Those aren't cracks after all.  They are strokes of him.  All I had to do was hang him in the right gallery, and provide a little light, to help him shine.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I think both your children are perfectly amazing. Having a child myself with a ton of "cracks", I completely understand where you are coming from. I, too, have stopped trying to "fix" my son to fit into society's mold. I have begun to realize that if "they" can't take him in his own perfection, they don't deserve to have them in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, let me say that I love your son. When I think of him, I see him at the theater, his face lighting up with a huge smile to great Saskia as she comes in. I see him playing gently and patiently with Fiona, 4 years younger than him. He doesn't tease, he is never cruel. He is one of the rare people who lets his joy in life shine through him and loves others unconditionally. Be proud, he is an amazing person. And he has amazing parents who can appreciate him for exactly who he is!

    Second, I can relate so much to what you say. Yesterday I was thinking about all the ways we try to change Fiona, with schedules, meds, therapy etc and why can't I just accept her for who and how she is? Part of me wants to take her off all the meds, drop the therapy and just let her be. But I know what OCD and anxiety feels like. I know how horrible the fear and panic feels and I know that life is better with those feelings suppressed. So we continue with her meds, but I do want to give her more room to be her at the same time. She is hyper, she is loud, she is wild and she is defiant. But she is also joyous, she is loving, and she is alive like many people are not. So I am determined to love and nurture her 'cracks'.

    She asked me last night if I was glad she is my child. I told her honestly from my heart that I am so glad to have her and her sister as my children. I honestly wouldn't want her any different. She is a light to this world, I just need to let her shine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina, you brought tears to my eyes this morning. Thank you. And I want to say that there are some things we as parents really should fix so that our children can lead healthier, happier lives. I know from talking to you that Fiona has found some relief from her OCD, if if medicine worked that miracle then you absolutely are doing the right thing. I adore Fiona. In my son's case, it was trying one thing after another after another... and nothing was "working." That's the point where I decided enough was enough.

    You sound like you are in a really good place right now. Let's try to support one another on this incredible journey, and see eachother's children for the light they bring to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I read this today! My older's trying a day without his ADD med today (his choice), and as much as I want to just want to find ways to live with that "crack", we're just all fairly miserable today. True, off the meds he's spontaneous and joyful. He eats well. He's also impulsive to the point of distraction and distress for all around him, unable to complete a thought, much less homeschooling assignments. A few years back, before he started the meds, I tried it all. I brought him home to learn; modified his environment with fidgets, pacing, materials used; increased physical activity; decreased responsibility; mades lists and charts; and more. But the day he came to me saying he was stupid because he couldn't concentrate was the day I called the doctor to discuss medications.

    I'd like to say I never looked back, but it's not true. I wish he could manage without them, and every so often, at his request, we try a day without his Concerta. Like today. By midday, he's asking to return to medication so he can accomplish what he wants to accomplish, and so he can live a bit more peacefully with my younger and I.

    Does he feel broken? Yeah, sometimes he does. But he's also releaved there's a "fix", however imperfect. Sure, I love him with his cracks, but he's more comfortable with a bit of glue.

    I'm delighted your son's doing better at home than at school. It's a healing place, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are homeschooling to accomodate similar "cracks" that are not related to academics. After three years of mediocrity or downright trauma at various schools, the psychologists told me that the school environment was doing permanent damage, and I should pull him out of there...while I am not achieving amazing academic results yet with home schooling, I like to think that the cracks are not wider and deeper.

    Ian's in a theatre group now, too, and it really seems to also be a good fit for my verbal sensitive boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these last two comments really moved me... quarksandquirks, I want you to know that when I talk about stopping the cycle of fixing my son, I also am respectful of the fact that there are some cracks that really need to be fixed. Or are better if they are fixed. I commend you for your choices. For us, well, the ADhD meds weren't fixing the real problem, which was more emotional and physical (colon disorder). If there were some miracle that could fix those, I'd be open to trying! I wish you luck, and just let your son know that he is beautiful and amazing even though he's "broken." We are all broken, all human. That's what makes us unique.

    ReplyDelete