Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Life

Over the last few days, I have relaxed about the money situation.  It kind of goes that way with us... the ups and downs.  It's what makes life interesting, I guess.  I once asked Jason's grandmother, whom had been married to his grandfather for over sixty years, "What's the trick?"

Jason's Grandma with my kiddos.
She answered, "Don't talk about money.  If you have some, great.  If you don't, you'll get some soon enough."

I like that rule.  It's a good rule.  Every time I look at her picture on our refrigerator, I think of these words and thank her.

So, I promise I will no longer panic about money... and instead follow grandma's rule for a happy marriage.    

Often times real wisdom comes not from a book, or a link on the internet, or through the advice of an expert.  It comes from someone who has lived, experienced, loved... and who is close to us.  

I have been told recently by a friend that sometimes we need to break free from all of the "manuals" and self-help books, parenting books and well (or not so well) intended experts and self-proclaimed gurus... and just trust ourselves.  Trust our instincts.  Do what we know feels right, and don't worry about what people out there in virtual world (or reality) think about how we live our lives.  

I have long since given up reading parenting books... I could have saved a lot of time and angst if I had just listened to my folks, who always said, "Babies don't come with instruction manuals."   Apparently, Barnes and Noble didn't get that memo.  Somewhere along the line, I realized that no one else can be an "expert" on  MY children.  (With the exception of experts on specific medical conditions, of course.)

And even if you did try to plan it all out... the plans change.  Life is more like a painting than a map.  It's more like an overture than directions.  There is no one set way of getting from the "start" to the "end," but there are a million ways to enjoy the ride.

It's my life.  My family's life.  No-one else need live with the outcome, no-one else is held accountable at the end of the line.  That thought gives me peace.  It gives me confidence.

And today... for some reason, all our plans got cancelled... and that's okay.  Perhaps we needed a day to relax, to breathe, to work in the yard and do art projects, catch up on chores... to enjoy the music.  I don't need to fill up my days to have a full life.  I don't need to fill up my children's time to make sure they are learning.

Today, in this moment, these thoughts give me peace.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely; and "yes". The online communities, in particular, are often antithetical to any sense of peace and centeredness; we have to stay in a place of awareness of our own reality. The more we place our focus "out there" with others opinions and experiences, valuable though they may be, the less we can access our own ground of being. As parents who've embraced a philosophy of whole-life learning, we are then, trying to model a life of interior direction yet how often do our kids see us running to the laptop to check out what our online community's views are of this, that or the other issue, taking a poll before deciding what we think and how we want to live it out? So, yes, you're on the right track on this "Path with Heart" that is unschooling. After nearly a quarter century on that same path, I commend you : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda, how lovely, thank you for posting. I miss my Mom so much. The picture reminds me of all the time you spent visiting her and always making her happy. You are such a special person.

    ReplyDelete