Thursday, September 30, 2010

Spoiler

So tonight's post is mostly perfunctory. I am exhausted. Recovering from being sick, plus a two hour Brownie meeting, followed by late night groceries and home to kids who were still wide awake! But I'm already at the computer, sooo...

Things seem to be getting better, more solid, around here. Dad has really stepped up to the plate, it's like the whole family is home schooling! Tomorrow, trebuchet-building with Dad while mom sees her friend star in a play (Girls Night Out)! I can't wait!

Setting firmer limits, with absolutely no bribery, no guilt, and a firm but loving hand has really improved my relationship with the kids. I've known all along that kids (especially mine) appreciate and need firm limits.

My limits, up until this point, have been like Jello on a paper plate. Wiggly, kind of transparent, but when the plate breaks... LOOK OUT, there's gonna be a mess! Kids don't like messes, and neither do moms.

So no more Jello-limits. That's my mantra from here on out. My kids finally, after weeks of pushing me over the brink (who am I kidding, seven and ten years of pushing), understand that I mean business!

It's amazing how much work they get done between two o'clock and four o'clock KNOWING, beyond a shadow of a Jello mold, that they will absolutely not go out and play with the other kids when the bus arrives if their planner-work isn't finished!

And guess what? They still love me. And guess what else? I still love them... maybe even more now! (Is that wrong?) And guess what else what else? I think my husband loves ME more now. He's been pushing for my guts for years. (I openly admit, I am quite often the culprit in the spoiling game.)

Hmmmmm, do you think "unplugging" and tighter discipline (unspoiling) could possibly do what therapy, ADHD medication, chiropractic, food elimination, and herbal remedies could not? I'm starting to think it was never my SON that needed "fixing." It was me.

Hi, my name is Kara Muse... and I'm a spoiler. Recovering. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment